Monday, July 27, 2009

Our Big Day

Whew! Andy and I definitely had an exhausting weekend and are ready to get going on our honeymoon. We were planning on leaving Wednesday but we are thinking about heading out tomorrow instead. I don't even know if I have the strength left to do a full wedding recap, but I'll try.

After a somewhat hectic Thursday night and Friday morning (bachelor party boys greatly interfered with my prep time!), I headed to Ft. Scott, car loaded down with more wedding decorations, clothing, and toiletry items than any one person should ever be in charge of at one time. I arrived at the Liberty Theatre about 2:30, and my maid of honor, Amy, helped me to set out all our guest table centerpieces, as well as arranging the head table and the cake table decorations.

A bit later the rest of my family, my bridesmaids, and Andy's family came over to finish up with the final touches. Then we all set out down the block for the rehearsal at the church.


The rehearsal went very smoothly, although Andy was about as nervous as a person could be!

I don't think he was having cold feet, though, just ready to finally be married!

Afterwards we had dinner, which was delish. It was barbecued pork loin, baked beans, potato salad and yummy rolls, catered by Sugarfoot and Peaches. Maureen, Andy's mom, did an awesome job with the decorations, too.


After hanging out for a bit, everyone else went home while Amy and I spent the night at bridesmaid Amanda's house in Pittsburg. They of course got roped into doing the last-minute wedding task of folding programs, but at least we all had a glass of wine to make the experience slightly less tedious.


In the morning the three of us ran into Wal-Mart for a few supplies. It seemed like a good photo opportunity, except that some man behind us thought we were snapping his picture. Whoops!


I was a little worried about the rain that morning, but after we got settled into our room at the Lyons Mansion Bed & Breakfast all I saw were pretty blue skies. Then I was worried that it was going to be terribly hot and humid - and it was. But that sort of comes with the territory for a July wedding.

Nevertheless, it was nice and cool inside "Preecia's Velvet Hideaway" and the accompanying sitting room where Kim Stewart beautified us ladies.



And I could not have loved my hair more, even if it was made of pure gold! She did an awesome job, and my do didn't move once all night. I was a little bummed that I had to cover it up with a veil (loved my handmade veil, too, though - ah, the difficult decisions of a bride).


I had butterflies in my stomach all morning, but they started going C-R-A-Z-Y about 4:30, when Megan Dittmer, the female half of our team of wedding photographers, arrived. That meant it was time to put on the dress! Amy helped slip it over my head, Mom zipped me up, Amanda hooked on my jewelry, Loren slid the garter up my leg, and Hannah fastened my shoes. At last, I was ready to roll!


Somehow we managed to get me and my poofiness down the stairs and out the back of the mansion.




Then we got started on photos of me and the girls.



Before I knew it, everyone was back in the car and on their way to the church. I couldn't believe it was really happening! One by one, my mom went in, then my maid of honor, bridesmaids, flower girl, and then...it was my turn!

Wagner's "Bridal Chorus" from the opera Lohengrin played as I put one foot in front of the other and made my way down the aisle, locking eyes with Andy first and then trying to absorb the happy faces of all our friends and family. It's difficult to describe a moment so special.


Rex, the pastor that Andy grew up with, welcomed everyone and said the opening prayer, and then Andy's sister Joanna read a special passage from the Bible. Everyone joined in one of my favorite hymns called "The Love of Christ is Rich and Free", which represented how Andy and I feel about marriage and its connection to our relationship with God. Rex spoke about all of the things that meant the very most to us at that moment, and then it was time to exchange the vows. Such a powerful experience.


We had a few foibles when it came to the exchange of rings. Andy couldn't quite get mine over the knuckle, and for some reason when it was my turn I got flustered and reached for his right hand instead of his left. Thankfully those are easy things to laugh about!


We lit our unity candle and took a moment to pray together as Olivia sang "The Wedding Song (There is Love)". And then, at last, all of our guests were introduced to the new Mr. and Mrs. Biery!



We let everyone exit, then came back outside amidst cheers and rampant birdseed-throwing (most of which seemed to make its way down my dress!).


Andy and I climbed into his parents' adorable Mini Coop and drove around town for a minute, then we came back inside for more group shots.


Our photographers also captured some amazing portraits of us as a couple.


And then it was party time!


The reception description, however, will have to wait for another day, when the Mrs. has yet more time and energy.

2 comments:

  1. Your wedding was so beautiful! Good job, woman! I loved the centerpieces and your hair made me so jealous. Everything seemed to go off without a hitch and all the little things will be funny memories (we can both laugh about our DJ's and their inability to read names properly). We need to get together sometime after the dust has cleared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbie the description almost made me cry all over again!!! It was a beautiful day! I can't imagine how come I haven't received a phone call from you yet, you must be pretty busy! If you are leaving on your honeymoon tomorrow, have a great time and I expect a phone call when things settle down!!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete